Wednesday, January 03, 2007

"A tongue in every wound of Caesar"


Theo (left) and Natalie, masters of clean fun.

For a little guy, Theo is pretty good at remembering song lyrics. He knows verses one and two of the theme song from the Polar Express, and the song ain’t easy. Consider this melodrama: “We were dreamers/ Not so long ago/ One by one, we all have to grow up/ When it seems the magic slipped away/ We find it all again on Christmas Day.” He refuses to recite this poetry to his grandparents and other relatives, but if you catch him at the right time, you can hear a sweet rendition of the song.

Also, and this is tacked on as an afterthought, we were listening to a song in the car on Saturday, and I described it as one of my favorites. When we parked the car, I lingered so we could listen to it. Later that day, Theo is in the basement playing with blocks singing the same song: "Give me the key Lord and free my soul, wanna get lost in rock and roll and drift away..." I was amazed.

But that’s just a lead in to today’s item. The following conversation occurred sometime over the holidays.

Dad: Are you ready to learn Mark Antony’s speech to the Plebians?
Theo: OK.
Dad: Friends, Romans, countrymen.
Theo: Friends, Romans, countrymen.
Dad: Lend me your ear.
Theo: Lend me your ear.
Dad: I’ve come to bury Caesar…
(Here comes the punch line)
Theo: I’ve come to bury Caesar, NOT TO PRAISE HIM (emphasis mine.)

The little noble Roman already knew his line! He just picked it up somewhere. In a few years, perhaps he’ll be able to move the very stones of Rome to rise and mutiny.

Let us turn our attention now to the developing verbal skills of Natalie Rose. As an 18-month-old little girl, she can say, “Dada,” “Mama,” “Mimi,” and “up,” But she’s never so cute as when she’s pointing at the fridge and shouting: “Cheese! Cheese!”

No comments: